Monday, April 13, 2009

My Comfort Kit


After reading a recent article on how the Salvation Army is providing comfort kits to those struck by major catastrophes like flooding and other natural disasters, I think we could all use a comfort kit to help us cope with the state of the world-stories of pirates hijacking ships (I prefer my pirates more of the Johnny Depp/Capt. Jack blend) and an ever-expanding dire economy-although I seem to be growing more numb to this kinds of news.

If I designed my own 2009 comfort kit, I'd have to include:
  • sweatshirt & sweatpants
  • diet coke
  • nachos
  • sour patch kids
  • pasta
  • family time-preferably dinners so I can cook
  • good book
  • better wine
  • iPod
  • my cat & dog
  • cleaning supplies (it helps me relax, strange, I know)

Most of my comfort lies in food, which I think is common for most people. In our house, meals are social events, partly because my family is so large we all only fit in the kitchen, and also because we like to eat-a lot. But while we cook, its more than what for dinner, it's all the activity that surrounds the meal. Drinks are poured, snacks are grazed on and everyone starts retelling favorite stories as the cooking meal's great aromas surround the conversation. There's plenty of laughter to go around for seconds and thirds and by the time the meal is finished, we have laughed until we cried over such obscure, yet cherished family jokes like "You want a pickle up your end?"-I swear, it's not what you think. These meals go beyond what's on the table, they are about what's shared at the table. I remember times like those each time I turn to a particular comfort food and realize its not just the taste, but the memories I enjoy with each bite that makes it so powerfully soothing.

Do you take comfort in food? What comfort belongings would you put in your 2009 comfort kit?

~Comfort Creature

4 comments:

  1. What a fantastic post! The most comforting things seem to be the simplest things. we have so many great memories: caring for a garden, preparing meals, snuggling under a blanket on a cold evening - all not so much the event, but rather the time spent together. My comfort list for 2009: The Chronicles of Narnia (completel works), a very cozy blanket, hot cocoa, hearty soup, great wine, dark chocolate, and something that smells like coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I think being with family is always the best sort of comfort. As far as things I'd throw into a comfort kit: my favorite CD's, green tea, coconut,beach-y,summer-y scented candles, board games/computer games and my hot-pink velour tracksuit (the most comfortable article of clothing I own. No cell phones, alarm clocks or time-telling devices allowed!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well cousin I must agree, I know I am guilty of seconds and thirds, plus my between meal grazings. For my kit I'd have to add Sour Patch Kids (this is how I know we are related), sweats, socks, Ian's USMC sweatshirt, good old fashion regular potato chips, a collection of Jane Austen books and my iPod.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For my kit I would have to have a few good fictional novels, Diet Coke and friend's and some family phone numbers. Pretzel rods along with good wine cheese and Twizzlers red Licorice would also be included.A new pair of gold toe white socks, new tennis shoes, comfy jeans and a collared sweater would feel very cozy too!

    ReplyDelete